Bill's Friends and Family

Thursday, February 28, 2008

February 28th- U of C here we come

Sorry I haven’t written, but the past two days have been a whirlwind. We arrived on Wednesday at the University of Chicago Advanced Medicine Center by limousine, compliments of a friend. (They didn’t want us driving to Chicago in rush hour and wanted it to be a calm relaxing trip, which it was.) After our consultation with the hematologist-oncologist we were given 4 options. There were 3 clinical trials for which Bill was eligible, and the fourth choice was to go home and do nothing. Bill said going home was not an option. With the doctor’s advice, we picked a clinical trial which was in the 2nd stage. She then suggested that Bill be admitted to the hospital that very day, and that medications be started immediately in the clinic.
Her concern was Bill’s white cell count was doubling almost everyday. It was 11,000 on Monday, 24,000 on Wednesday, and it would have gotten ugly later in the week. The medication was one that reduces white cell growth. After just 3 doses his white cell count was back down to 15,000 this morning, and I pray it is lower on Friday.

Here is the plan.
Today was orchestrated by the doctor. MRI of the brain, bone biopsy (his 9th), spinal fluid tests for leukemia, heart monitoring, and other tests. At one point, two wheelchairs appeared at the door to take him for testing. He said, “I can only go with one of you, pick one”.
After he passes all the tests, and meets the criteria of the study (which he should) they will start a low dose of cyterabine chemo on Friday that will last for 5 days. When his white cell blasts have been lowered to a manageable number, the clinical trial will begin. This will be a liquid that can be taken as long as 20 days at HOME. When I learn more about how this chemical works, I will share that information.
By the time we arrived at the hospital, on Wednesday, Bill was so fatigued he could not walk, talk, make a decision, or even sign his name. In the next 24 hours we had a complete turn around. About lunchtime today, he became talkative, asked questions, kidded with the nurses and complained to me. He had a brutal day with test after test, never took a nap, but was somewhat alert and more involved with his illness. I want to know who was praying at lunchtime on Thursday, because you (they) must have a direct line with the Lord. It worked!

This weekend we are having company. Kari, Jeff and baby Andrew. Janine, Don and Maggie. And because of the generosity of a friend from Pennsylvania, Bill’s 93 year old mom and 2 sisters are flying here. It will be a busy weekend. I must add that between our church friends, bridge friends, and special friends, they have prepared meals, stocked the refrigerator, cleaned the house, and are picking up the air travelers at O’Hare and Midway. I can just watch over Bill. Once again, I am overwhelmed by the generosity of everyone, and their desire to help when we are into the 5th month of Bill’s illness. Thank you.
I will post again after our busy weekend.

“The lord says, I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer, I will be with them in trouble.” Amen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how God guides our every move! So glad Bill is doing better. Can't wait to see my big brother - and Mom is even more excited than I am. I am sure your house will be buzzing all weekend - a good thing for the soul.

Family is so important - and as I have found out, your new "neighborhood" family is an unbelievable one! You are truly blessed.

See you on Friday!

Love, Prayers, and Good Health,
Gail

Anonymous said...

Nancy,

How fortunate you are to have so many people supporting you with cleaning the house, grocery shopping, etc. I bet they might even be willing to babysit if needed. I am so glad Bill's family along with Kari and Janine are getting to visit. If I were still next door, maybe they would clean my house also. heh heh
Be sure to give Bill my best and I will continue to pray for all of you as you take these next weeks a day at a time. I bet Bill can even sing "One Day At A Time" for us. Thanks for keeping us posted. You all are on my mind constantly.

Love to all,
Mary Jo

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
It was a blessing to read your noted this morning. I know that these last couple days have been very tough as I guess the past 5 months. It was good to hear that Bill had a good day, which means that your day was better. I have tried to call and talk, but just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you all the time. I know that this weekend will bring lot of laughs, tears and love enjoy it and I hope that Bill can enjoy the time with family.

Say hi to Bill and let him know that we are pulling for him.
Love, Suzanne

Janine Garner said...

I would like to extend a huge 'thank you' to all of my parents' friends who have taken on some of the everyday burdens for them, so they can concentrate on healing. When our friends and loved ones are going through a crisis, we often say "Anything I can do to help, just call." Mom has made that call, and so many of you have answered with a willing heart and a generous spirit. It warms my soul to see this display of human kindness.
But then again, I would expect nothing less from the neighbors, fellow church members, and co-workers who have chosen to call my parents friends.
And for those who have too many miles between them and Chicago to be there, please know your prayers and support are felt every day.
From our family to yours, thank you.
Janine

Anonymous said...

Bill and Nancy:
I am SO GLAD Jon and Laura got to be with you both for 4 days last weekend, spend some quality time and help out. This UC clinical trial is Jon's Birthday present..a great gift of hope for Bill and your family. Enjoy Bill's family and the gang this weekend! Vickie

Dee said...

Nancy and Bill,
God's blessings are all around both of you with friends, family, and neighbors who love and care for both of you.

You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

Love, Dee Naftzger

Mike said...

Hallalujah! I continue to pray for more good outcomes and even warming weather to brighten the days.

Jill
As always, the fellow former Londonite bell ringer

Anonymous said...

Jim and I have been in Washington DC this week with the 8th grade at Webb. On Thursday we were at the National Cathedral. Jim just told me that while he was there he prayed for Bill. It was about 2pm EST...what time did you eat lunch???
Actually, you stay in our thoughts and prayers all the time!
We love you, Ann and Jim

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
When I had talked to you last night I hadn't read the latest entry in the blog. It's overwhelming just reading about everything both of you have had to go through the past few days! I am so glad that Bill is feeling a little more energetic. I'm sure knowing your family is at home waiting to see him is a huge source of strength. Have a wonderful weekend with the children (of all ages)!

- Janet

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
It is good to read and even feel the HOPE coming from your words. I have been praying daily for a miracle for Bill. I will once again revive my prayer for you of double the rest for the amount of sleep you are getting. Sounds like you just might need it!

Take care,
Carol Eicher
Phil 1:3 "I thank God for you each time I think of you."