Bill's Friends and Family

Thursday, April 24, 2008

April 24th- The cancer has returned

Give this cancer an inch and it takes a yard. When I last wrote the blasts in Bill’s blood were at 4%, no big deal. By Tuesday, the blasts were at 20%, and by today, Thursday, the blasts are at 86% of his blood. Without chemotherapy, there is no stopping Acute Mylogenous Leukemia FLT 3+. It is so aggressive.
Bill is eating very little, and drinking less. The doctor has ordered platelets and saline IV to make him more comfortable for the weekend. I have also learned that when a patient is dehydrated, the blood results are affected. With less fluids in your blood, the counts are exaggerated. The blasts may lower after saline is given.
This is a big weekend with his mom, sisters, two nieces, one boyfriend, and one great-niece
coming in to visit from Pittsburgh, PA. Once again, our friends have stepped forward. One provided airfare for one family member, others are providing transportation to and from the airport, and several friends are preparing meals for the whole weekend. We are so blessed with friends that have made themselves available so I can take care of Bill. I could not have done it without them all.
The next few days and weeks are very critical. When Bill refuses additional saline and platelets, then hospice will be contacted. I will keep you informed.
Please continue to pray for Bill’s comfort. He is not in any pain at this time. Thank the Lord. I pray that will continue to be the case.
Love you all. Our faith will help us through this.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how quickly the numbers can change. Hopefully, with the saline, the numbers will lessen and Bill will feel better.

We are anxious to see both of you.

God continues to take us on the journey - thank Him for the friends and family that are on the journey with you.

Love and prayers,
Gail

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
I hope you remember us...Tony and Debbi Akers. Tony was the youth pastor at First Christian in London way back when...
We have been following this brave Huber battle for the last several months via the blog. Carol Eicher contacted us several months ago and informed us of Bill's illness.
I just wanted to say that we are praying for you all and the kids. Also, I wanted to let you know that we are seeing God's glory revealed in the strength that he seems to be blessing you with. Thank you for sharing so much of it with so many who read the blog daily.

If Bill feels up for a laugh, he can look at Tony's blog. There are numerous pics our family ... nearly 16-17 years later!Our daughter, Madison is almost 14, Samuel is 10 and Hannah Grace will be 3 in June. His blog is tonyakers.blogspot.com

Tell Janine, Keri an Jon that we said hello as well and are praying for them.

Love and Many Prayers,
Debbi Akers

Anonymous said...

I always read the blog as soon as I get home from work each morning hoping for some miracle for the Hubers. I am so sorry to find that the cancer has returned. It is so nice to have neighbors and friends to help you through these times. I know you are anxious to see the family this weekend. Give them all my best and enjoy the visit. The pictures on the blog of the grandchildren are so cute. They came along at the perfect time to occupy some of your time. I know you are anxious for Jon & Laura's little one to get here also.

Love to all the Hubers.
Mary Jo

Anonymous said...

Nancy and Bill,

It's difficult for me to express how much I hope for the best, that The Numbers take a turn for the better. Perhaps I should concentrate instead on the fact that every day has been a blessing, another day that can be spent in Bill's company.

Have a wonderful weekend with your family! The Lin kids are going to Danville this weekend for my father's retirement party and birthday, but I'll be thinking of you both!

Love,
Janet and John

Lynn said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Bill and your family. As the saying goes, "if God takes you to it he will see you through it".
Love, Lynn and Lake

Anonymous said...

We love you guys. May ALL the forces be with you.
David & Becky Eaker

Dee said...

Bill and Nancy,

We're so happy you have such loving friends, neighbors and family. God has blessed you both with love.

We send our love and pray for Bill's comfort and the continued support and love of your circle of the world.

Dee & Jay Naftzger

Anonymous said...

Sending love and prayers your way! Tell Maggie and Bill sweets, especially cupcakes, are my favorite things also!
Shelby Eaker

Becky Barbero said...

Hi Nancy and Bill,
I am so sorry to hear news about Bill's cancer but I am also hoping that these numbers can also change for better. My family and I send lots of love and prayers. My brother Vince and wife Pat have been thinking of Bill, and mom and dad ( Dee and John Gillen) for sure. We can only smile if we think of the Huber family (always happy thoughts of time spend with any of you) and feel bad it has been so long since we been in touch. I am presently living in LA, CA helping out with my granddaughter Stella ( 2). I love your family album, pictures are great and family is beautiful - of course. Hubers are always #1 in our hearts and again sending love and prayers to Bill and all of you in this long journey.
Love (Roscoe friends)
Becky and family.
will try to send pictures later

Anonymous said...

I cannot express how very sorry I am that you have lost your dear husband, father, grandfather and friend. Bill was the very first person at Grace who told me I have a nice singing voice, which really gave me the confidence I needed and didn't have. I will miss him very much. Of course, he's in heaven now, living it up, amazed at all God's glory--but, gosh, it's so hard for those left behind.
Love, Barb Ceruti