Bill's Friends and Family

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

October 17- Home again

It has been a long day of waiting. We have definitely been on "Hospital Time" today.

Bill received his first chemo injection into the Ommaya Reservoir this evening at 7 pm. There was a holdup because his platelets were below 50,000 and he needed a second transfusion to bring them up to an acceptable count. He was a brave soldier while he received the injection and there were no side effects. (Side effects are immediate when chemo is injected into the spinal fluid.) He will receive injections every 3-4 days until the spinal fluid is a clear color and tests negative for white cells.
We are home, he is not only in bed, but fell asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

He had a neurological test done today to test different parts of his brain and proceeded to tell me that I would have failed it. (He is probably right). Better line me up for an MRI next week. In fact, Jon thought we should just buy an MRI machine and we could all be tested.
We have 3 trips to the doctors next week. Hopefully they will all be uneventful.

Jon has talked about instituting a "Chat room" on this site. Hopefully, Bill will feel like working on the computer, and he can schedule a time that he is online. Then y'll can ask Bill questions directly and get an immediate answer. Hope this works. We will talk about this in the morning. Good night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The MRI thing is a good idea! All of us Hubers could benefit - we are all unique, some may say crazy, but it works for us!! I would love the chat room - our technologically challenged sister may take some time to get comfortable with it, but it would be wonderful to talk to Bill. Kids stick together, you know, and just ask Mom, we are still kids! Nice to know at our ages that someone thinks we are kids!!

Take advantage of being at home - there is no sleep for the weary in any hospital - I think those medical people just like to torture you!!

Keep us posted - that new hole in your head obviously has a good use!!

Love, prayers, and good health,
Gail

Unknown said...

Bill,

Can NSSGA get a discount on the MRI service. Many of our members need to have their heads examined (but you didn't hear it from me). Glad you're able to go home and wanted to let you know that you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. Make sure the nurses wear steel-toed boots.

Best regards,

Steve Lenker

Anonymous said...

Nothing like sleeping in your own bed Bill.
The chat room sounds super but duh me, how will I know when to go online? Help Jon!!!!!!!Does my phone ring? Does my puter go ping?
Techy I am not. Almost had a heart attack when we had to learn the puter for nursing....geesh I had just learned how to use a calculator and now this!!!
Am praying so hard Bill for you.
Love,
Shelley and Don

Jon said...

Don't fret about the chatting. I will provide instructions once Nancy, Bill, and I have discussed a few details.

Anonymous said...

A MRI- Who gets to go first? Gail or me? How about Jim?

Hope you enjoyed a good night's sleep not only you Bill, but you too Nancy. At least no one will want your cooler today.

I'll be glad to chat. I'm not "that" technologically challenged. You two can still pick on the old lady...

You are in our thoughts and prayers,

Love,
Paula and Jim